The Future of A's Baseball

Monday, April 03, 2006

My Interview with A's Prospect Brad Knox

A's prospect Brad Knox was kind enough to answer a few questions for me recently


A's Future - You went to the same college as Rich Harden, during your time at Central Arizona were you aware of Harden? If so, what was it like being drafted by the same team?

Brad Knox - I wasn't that aware of Harden when I went to Central but I did know who he was.

AF - You've been drafted 3 times, the first 2 times by the Kansas City Royals. Can you tell us a little bit about what made you decide to turn KC down.

BK - Well the first year I got drafted by Kansas City was out of high school. They offered me little money and I had already signed with the University of Houston and Blinn Jr. College. The 2nd year I think it was 2 rounds worse, so...And that was the year we won the Jr. College World Series and I pitched in and won the championship game. The next morning after the game we were on the bus back to Arizona and they had contacted me and said that they were going to let me go back in the draft. I was shocked that I didn't get any kind of offer.

AF - No offence to KC, but Oakland is clearly a superior organization. Was it a bit better feeling when they drafted you as opposed to KC?

BK - I was at a friends house listening to the draft and was surprised. And yes I was very happy to get to play for the A's. I still am.

AF - How involved were you in negotiating your contract along with your agent and the A's?

BK - Well, I didn't have an agent at the time I signed. John Keuhl was the scout that drafted me. We met late one night at Clint Myers' home, the Central manager at the time, He made me an offer of some money and school. Then I contacted my dad to discuss. Negotiations were short and sweet. I asked for more money and they only raised the offer $2,500. They told me I could have held out to see what guys wouldn't sign and I could get more money, but I didn't want to wait 2 months until the season was over to double what they offered. Looking back I wish I would have now.

AF - What are your thoughts on your 2005 season?

BK - 2005 was frustrating. I was going to be a starter in Midland but then my arm bothered me and I got held back in extended spring training. While getting paid AA money I was in extended spring until about May 7th I think. Then I got some good quality starts in Stockton. I kind of looked at it as a year to get healthy and to work on some things.

AF - Have you been working on anything specific this offseason?

BK - Past off season I lost 25 pounds and feel great. My back is holding up nicely.

AF - What is the main difference in competition between the Midwest League and the California League?

BK - It seperates the men from the boys.

AF - What are you hoping to accomplish in 2006?

BK - To have a great year and end up on the 40 man [roster]

AF - Thanks so much for your time Brad. I really appreciate it.

3 Comments:

  • "It seperates the men from the boys"

    what a stupid answer. hfg

    -mike92tsi

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:13 PM  

  • You're a stupid answer

    By Blogger Bobby, at 12:17 PM  

  • Very nice! I found a place where you can
    make some nice extra cash secret shopping. Just go to the site below
    and put in your zip to see what's available in your area.
    I made over $900 last month having fun!
    make extra money

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home