The Future of A's Baseball

Friday, April 21, 2006

Interview with Dan Meyer

A's Future - Can you tell us a couple clear differences between the Braves organization and the A's organization?

Dan Meyer - The A's and Braves are very similar organization as far as how they treat their pitchers and the other aspects of the game like conditioning and lifting as well as philosophy on pitching.....The only real major difference I can tell is similair to what [Tim] Hudson pointed out earlier.. The A's clubhouse is a lot more relaxed and laidback......I think its because of the whole west coast lifestyle which seems to be more laidback


AF - Can you go back and pinpoint the moment you hurt your shoulder, is it hard to remember or was it more gradual?

DM - I hurt it in the weightroom about 2 weeks into spring training and felt it immediately, but because of all the pressure and expectations plus my own drive, I wanted to try and push through it and be that guy everyone was expecting


AF - After your first DL stint you came back and struggled a little more before being shut down for good. Was your shoulder still bothering you, or was it more rust?

DM - Little bit of both. It felt better but I never restrengthened it like I should have. I got my flexibility back but lost a lot of arm strength. Now I feel tons better but need to work on that arm strength


AF - How are things feeling for you as opposed to how they felt at this point last season?

DM - Things are a lot better.. I had a good spring and I need to carry that into this season here in Sac so when my number is called I can do what it takes to help Oakland win


AF - Have you gotten back some of the velocity that you lost last season? How are your secondary pitches feeling right now?

DM - I have gotten some velocity back but I'm not all the way back. I have my days where it is up and down but I feel like thats all a part of this process and it's something I need to work on. It goes back to arm strength and working hard to get back to where I was.


AF - Do you feel any pressure as being the key piece in a trade for a pitcher of Tim Hudson's caliber?

DM - Yeah of course, but pressure is a part of the game and you cant let it get to you too much or it will be tough to be a successful baseball player or to have a successful career.


AF - Have the A's told you what they're limitations for you will be this season?

DM - Not really, just keep pitching


AF - What are your expectations and goals for the coming season?

DM - My goals are to keep working hard and getting back to where I was 2 years ago. It's going to be a tough and grueling process but I put myself here so I need to get myself out. I need to improve and learn from every outing so I can help the big team.

3 Comments:

  • Meyer seems to be pitching quite well again. Maybe he will be Zito's replacement after all.

    By Blogger crosbyisgod, at 1:20 PM  

  • Gaudin recalled from Sac; Kielty unfortunately sent down once again.

    By Blogger georgeltownsend, at 6:32 PM  

  • Hey! Very Nice! Check out this website I found where you can make extra cash.
    It's not available everywhere, so go to the site and put
    in your zipcode to see if you can find something. I found something and make
    and extra $900 a month!

    http://www.degree-programs-online.info/extramoney.htm

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home